New developments in the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie suggest investigators are increasingly viewing the case as a possible “burglary gone wrong,” rather than a planned kidnapping, according to a report Sunday from CBS 5 true crime correspondent Briana Whitney.
Whitney, who works for the CBS affiliate in Phoenix, said in a video posted to X that sources close to the investigation believe the incident may not have been an intended abduction. Guthrie, the mother of NBC’s Savannah Guthrie, has been missing for two weeks from her home in Tucson, Arizona.
“We can now report investigators now believe this was a burglary gone wrong,” Whitney said, citing an “inside source.” She added that multiple experts interviewed since the case began have reached similar conclusions based on available evidence, including surveillance footage and other aspects of the investigation.
“We’ve interviewed multiple experts since this began who also said based on the evidence, the surveillance video, and other aspects of this case, that they also believed this was not an intended kidnapping,” Whitney said.
Perhaps most significant, Whitney reported that there is a “widespread belief” among investigators that Nancy Guthrie “could be alive.” The update offers a glimmer of hope in a case that has gripped the Tucson community and drawn national attention.
As authorities continue working to piece together what happened, DNA evidence is now being examined. Whitney reported that DNA recovered from a Range Rover located about two miles from Guthrie’s home is currently undergoing testing.
NBC also reported Sunday that investigators are analyzing DNA from a glove found several miles from Guthrie’s residence to determine whether it matches anyone in the federal database.
Law enforcement officials have been tight-lipped about specifics, but NBC reported that authorities are “leaning away from several people previously scrutinized,” including a man whose home was searched Friday night, a man named Carlos who was stopped in a car last week, and any of Guthrie’s relatives.
Earlier in the week, FBI Director Kash Patel released images and video of a masked “potential subject” seen on surveillance footage moving around Guthrie’s front porch. Patel said the footage came from a camera that had previously been inaccessible. Despite the release of those images, officials have not announced any arrests or identified a suspect as of Sunday evening.
The investigation remains active, with local and federal authorities continuing to pursue leads.
Shortly after Whitney’s report circulated, Fox News correspondent Matt Finn reported that the FBI had “no idea where that came” in reference to the burglary theory.
Meanwhile, Savannah Guthrie shared a new video Sunday night, expressing continued hope that her mother will return home safely. In an emotional appeal, she addressed the suspected kidnappers directly, saying, “It is never too late to do the right thing.”
As investigators work to determine whether the disappearance was a targeted act or a crime that spiraled out of control, family members and law enforcement alike continue to hold out hope that Nancy Guthrie is still alive.


